High profile guests and celebrities chat with host Angela Vithoulkas, insights are shared, tales told and lessons learned – all over a brew.
Episode #012 - The Brew - Guest Peter Harmer
May 15, 2017
The corporate world is perceived to be miles away from the everyday grind of small business – but Insurance Australia Group (IAG) CEO Peter Harmer is bridging the gap.
Harmer believes there are both cultural and physical barriers impeding corporate establishments from properly connecting with their customers, and he’s using the techniques of small business to combat the issue.
So far, he’s introduced the idea of servant leadership to IAG and has orchestrated multiple workshops designed solely to solve customer problems.
Under Harmer’s governance, IAG has also established internal and external hubs to support and learn from start-ups and entrepreneurs, supplemented by a $75M venture fund. Among the start-ups IAG has invested in are Pocketbook and UpGuard.
During a candid conversation on The Brew, Harmer also told of the new emergency monitoring devices IAG is involved in creating, the challenges of finding a happy medium of work and family, and the value of simply asking the right questions.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why relying on a rulebook in corporate business simply doesn’t work;
- How to align values and behaviour within an organisation;
- The new Facebook-like internal program IAG is trialling for employee’s to broadcast their ideas;
- How small and big business can work together harmoniously;
- Why it’s often the most challenging and cynical people that really want to make a difference to an organisation;
- The benefits of simplifying a business plan; and
- Why the smartest person in the room often isn’t the most knowledgeable, but the one who asks the right questions.
Eagle Waves Radio is the creation of Angela, she is a multi-award-winning business owner and a passionate small business advocate. Angela gave Eagle Waves its wings to ensure the voice of small business never flies under the radar. She has produced over 2000 hours.
Sign Up to Eagle Bites!
Get the latest podcasts, giveaways and great offers today