Aus Asia Business Program
Host Stacey Martin, interviews the who’s who of the international Asian trade, investment and development scene providing key insights for SME's.
Episode #018 - Aus Asia Business - How do trade agreements create opportunities for business in other countries?
May 1, 2018
What is a trade agreement, and how do they make it easier for you to do business? Alina Bain, CEO of Export Council of Australia explains to Stacey why Trade Agreements open up some great opportunities for SMEs.
Recently appointed CEO of the Australian Export Council, Alina Bain is passionate about helping SME’s internationalise. Trained as a lawyer, worked as a lobbyist and running not-for profit and industry associations, Alina is used to managing multi-stakeholder objectives.
In this episode you’ll learn about:
- Alina’s career journey from lawyer at a big city law firm to helping businesses to internationalise and grow
- What is a trade agreement, and what do they open up for SMEs
- Will a trade agreement make it easier for you to do business
- How can you take advantage of current trade agreements
- Why are SME’s spoilt for choice?
- What are the objectives of the Australian Export Council?
- How can the Australian Export Council help you
- Why you should be careful taking your ideas abroad
- Where should you start when you are considering exporting overseas
- Does the Australian Export Council work with the Government
- When would you use Export Finance Insurance Corporation (EFIC)?
- What is the Export Awards Program
Alina’s top 3 tips:
- Tip 1. Research and prepare - Prepare business case, prepare export plan – Commit - Be an export Champion
- Tip 2. Seek out help – your industry association is the best place to start – invest in talking to people and finding the right people who can help you – understand government services, and how they intersect with and supplement those of an industry association or those provided privately
- Tip 3. Commit to understanding cross cultural communication and cultural differences, and embrace.
Learn more about Alina Bain at:
Stacey Martin is known for her passion for networking and connecting. Through her financial services and international trade and investment experience she asks the right questions to help listeners navigate international opportunities.
Sign Up to Eagle Bites!
Get the latest podcasts, giveaways and great offers today